Tuesday 23 March 2010

6. The Shend


In Iceland, surnames as we understand them don't exist; one takes one's father's name and adds -son or -dottir, thus Magnus Magnusson, or Bjork Godmundsdottir. Now this is a great and wonderful thing, but it makes identifying people in, for example, a phone book difficult. As a result, most people are known by their first name only, thus 'Bjork'. Now if I was a better, cleverer writer, who'd actually thought about exactly where this was going, I'd have found a way to link this fact to today's person who looks a bit like me, the musician, actor and hat wearer known only as 'The Shend'. I know nothing more about him, so for more information, I must refer you to my old friend, the man with whom I have shared many a whole chocolate cake, Jon Harding. Actually, Jon's got the goatee and only a little on top as well. You may see him here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment