Sunday 23 May 2010

23. Red 6


Like so many men of my age, Star Wars plays a central role in my life. It was the first film I saw at the cinema and remains the movie against which all others are judged. And it still has the power to take me back to that first time, even through the fog of innumerable viewings since then; on video, back at the cinema when they were re-released and now on DVD. Like all our favourite things, it is all so familiar and yet still has the capacity to surprise. So it was this morning, when during the attack on the Death Star, Mrs Elliott got very excited when she noticed someone-who-looks-a-bit-like-me piloting one of the Rebel fighters. Red 6, AKA Jek (and I'm not making this up) Porkins looks a little too corpulent for the job, but I guess the Rebel leaders were taken in with his rugged good looks and well crafted beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment